MDPN Presents First “Great Question!” Event!
Join the MDPN, the Michigan Service Hub of the DPLA, the Library of Michigan, and Mid-Michigan Digital Practitioners for our first-ever “Great Question!” event. This virtual event provides digital collections professionals and practitioners to ask – in a low stakes and friendly space – any question about digitization, digital collection management, metadata, providing access, or digital preservation.
Questions might include:
- How are you providing access to historic photos?
- Where can I get my newspapers digitized?
- What metadata schemas do you use to describe born-digital materials? What is a metadata schema???
- Should I be creating disk images of donor’s hard drives?
- How does your institution handle fixity checks?
- What do I do with all of these unprocessed floppy disks?????? HELP.
- How do you handle email preservation?
- How do I establish a useful file naming standard (and make sure my digitization volunteers stick to it)?
- What ‘s a SIP? Or an AIP?? Or a DIP??? And why are there so many acronyms????
- How do you advocate for more resources at your institution? What strategies are effective?
Experts and colleagues will be on hand to share their experiences, strategies, and maybe even a few horror stories (i.e. what not to do!). And remember – they’re all great questions!
To participate, either Ask a Question or Answer a Question before or during the event on April 25. You don’t need to be present at the event to ask or answer a question – all of the data will be available after the event to review! But we do encourages folks to attend in-person to engage in conversation with other attendees.
Ask a Great Question!: https://tinyurl.com/MIgreatQuestion
Give a Great Answer!: https://tinyurl.com/MIgreatAnswer
Register for the Zoom link: https://forms.gle/qt9dVmTyqgD6MXVi6
We can’t wait to read your question!